Monday, February 27, 2017

Thin is in

Cigar Review:

For me the perception back in the day that longer but thinner cigars were favored by the upper crust. These cigars looked very fashion oriented, sleek and had flair. Not sure how I came up with this conclusion but it was an idea that did appeal to me. Cigar manufacturers always had the Lancero shaped  in their roster but I believe they were not big sellers.
As larger ring gauge cigars became the rage and are still getting bigger, it is often not easy to find a smoke that appeals to the Lancero crowd. I personally like this shape and find it a great shape to smoke.

The Alec Bradley Coyol Petit Lancero comes with a 93 rating  and a # 18 ranking from Cigar Aficionado in the best cigars of 2016.
I purchased my cigar from the Lone Wolf Cigar Lounge on 1/2/17 and smoked it on 2/24/17 at the Wolf.
 With all my ratings, how and where I received the cigar does not impact my subjective thoughts on the blend. I suggest you try it on your own and make your own judgement. Hope to hear your thoughts on the cigar.



Brand/ Name of Cigar:   
   
                                                                Alec Bradley /Coyal Petit Lancero
                                                                Country of Origin: Honduras 
                                                                Size:  6.5 x 41 
                                                                Wrapper: Honduras
                                                                Binder: Honduras, Nicaragua 
                                                                Filler: Honduras, Nicaragua
                                                                Price: $8.99 Lone Wolf Cigar Lounge, Los Angeles , Ca.





  
                                                                  Appearance/Construction:

 A slim cigar with a choice brown wrapper, well crafted with seams that do not mar the appearance of the wrapper. The band combination displays a very cool looking counter point to the cigar itself. Not flashy but says look at me. 



Flavor/ Taste and Aroma:


First third was a pleasing combination of cream, chocolate notes with a slight hint of spice/black pepper. Also a tease of cinnamon or nutmeg. Sometimes they taste the same to me. It was smooth, consistent and not harsh.


Smoking  Characteristics :

Cool smoking but slightly off in the burn as the photo clearly indicates. I did not find this off putting but wondered why it happened. I sometimes do a poor job on the initial lighting of a cigar but this was not the case as you can observe the first photo had  a good burn.


Conclusion/ Overall Impression:

As a top 25 cigar I have my doubts but as a good smoke it hits it for me. As a baseball fan I would describe it as a solid line drive two bagger but it would be a stretch to make it to third base. 



Final Thoughts:

This cigar just missed the mark for me. Slight burn issue was not a big thing but the taste was light without a major strength.

The numbers:

Appearance / Construction: 3.8 out of 5
Flavor/Taste and Aroma: 3.5 out of 5
Smoking Characteristics : 3. 3 out of 5
Conclusion/Overall Impression: 3. 5 out of 5

A good Triple A player with the chance to get to the Show.

Keep smoking.
     





                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment