Saturday, December 10, 2016

Black is Black/ Cigar review San Lotano Maduro Toro

Years ago, I thought maduro cigars were the greatest thing. Perhaps because they were different from what I was used to .  In 2011 I received a box  of San Lotano Maduro as a birthday gift and they did not last long. Today if I had a box of them , they would probably last a year or more. I purchased a sampler of San Lotano Cigars from Serious Cigars several months ago and this cigar has been in my humidor since then. As always where and how I received the cigar does not influence my judgment . I  suggest you make your decision on  your taste. Please let me know your thoughts.

Brand/ Name of Cigar: San Lotano/ Maduro

Country of origin: Nicaragua 
Wrapper: Mexican Maduro
Binder: Honduras and Dominican ( Dual Binder )
Filler: Honduras and Nicaragua
Shape: Toro, 6 x by 54 X, Box Pressed
Where and when smoked: 11/20/16 , Lone Wolf Cigar Lounge, Los Angeles Ca.

Appearance/Construction: 

Dark brown, depending on the light almost black. Solid box press , tight, and oily to the touch. Smooth almost slick feel to the wrapper. A very sharp looking,  well made cigar.

About 25 minutes in 




Flavor/ Taste and Aroma:

Initially it was a rich mixture of chocolate,  sweetness  and a candy quality bordering on brown sugar. These are the best characteristics of a well made maduro. Also a bit of a spice blast but not overpowering.
40 minutes in


Smoking Characteristics: 

The smoke had an even burn, very pleasant looking grey ash and did not lose it's solid
 construction.  The cigar held it's shape which is a plus as some smokes as we know lose their  integrity as down the road. Did not burn hot or have any issues.








Conclusion/Overall Impression:

                                                                                     I stand by my original thought that maduro cigars will be a once in awhile occasion for me.  The flavor , construction  and smoking experience was a nice ride but the nuances of a great smoke was not there. I liken it  to being on the 405 on a non rush moment in LA. Glad the traffic was moving but the view was nothing special. I would rather be on the Pacific Coast Highway looking at the ocean. For maduro smokers , this is an unqualified hit. For me, if someone gave me this cigar I would smoke it, not sure I would buy it.


one hour or so in

  Final Thoughts and numbers:                                            
                                                                              
                                                                             Appearance/ Construction: 4 out 5
                                                                             Flavor/Taste and Aroma: 3.5 out of 5

Smoking Characteristics: 3.5 out 5                                                                          
                                                                             Conclusion/ Overall Impression: 3.8 out of 5

For maduro smokers this is a must for your humidor, for others, a good but occasional change for your usual . A good choice however.

Keep Smoking



No comments:

Post a Comment