Sunday, February 28, 2016

If you like big

This was a big cigar, almost as big as my leg. Slight exaggeration but not a smoke for a 15 minute interlude. Big cigars are a special type of product which allows the roller to show off their craft. It has plenty of working parts so the blend has to be able to get it. If it does not, you have a big mess. Let's see how this cigar works.

I received this cigar from Cigarscity.com gratis to review. As always where or how I received the cigar does not influence my take on the product.

Brand/Name of Cigar: Man of War/ Virtue
Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Size: 6.5 x 52
Wrapper: Ecuadorian/ Connecticut Shade
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Shape: Torpedo
Price: $4.89 sale price from cigars city.com
Place and Date Purchased: Gratis Cigarscity.com

Appearance/ Construction:

As I mentioned in my introduction this cigar is big and looks powerful. It looks like it might kill me or make me a better person. I will be taking my time smoking this baby. Good looking with a oily feel and smooth. Did have two large veins in the wrapper. Liked the band and actually my wife also made a comment about it, " liked the way it looks. " Slightly firm which is not unusual for a larger smoke.

Smoking Characteristics:

An A. J. Fernandez creation,  I am a big fan of his San Lotano brand. Let's see how the Man of War shapes up. The initial light had a pleasing taste with chocolate and clove the main hit on my tongue. Thought there would be a spice or pepper so this is a bit of a surprise. As the second third came into being the spice started to come to the forefront but it was not overpowering or harsh. Also got a bit of coffee thrown in the blend. Pretty smooth and a nice combo.

The final third is where the strength of this cigar finally became the predominate taste. This was not your knock your socks off power but a very good mix of flavor that I liked. It made it a full body smoke. The cigar gave you your money's worth.




Conclusion/ Overall Impressions:

This is a big smoke which takes a good hour plus to engage in. I liked this cigar and it's certainly a great price point. However I am not a big ring cigar smoker which does not distract the overall quality of this blend.  I would think if you like a big cigar you should have a couple of them in your humidor. Sit down with this baby, grab a beer and enjoy away.

Appearance and Construction: 3.8 out of 5
Smoking Characteristics: 3.8 out of 5
Conclusion/ Overall Impression: 3.8 out of 5

Keep Smoking

No comments:

Post a Comment